Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby gestr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:42 am

Professional handwriting analysts say that the handwriting of each person changes throughout his or her lifetime. That is why letters written by a suspect today cannot be compared with letters written by Zodiac in 1969. You must compare letters written by the suspect in 1969 to letters written by Zodiac in 1969.

Given that truth, it should not be surprising that Zodiac's handwriting will look different in 1973, 1974 and 1978 from an exact match to his 1969 lettering.
gestr
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby Zamantha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:57 pm

gestr wrote:Professional handwriting analysts say that the handwriting of each person changes throughout his or her lifetime. That is why letters written by a suspect today cannot be compared with letters written by Zodiac in 1969. You must compare letters written by the suspect in 1969 to letters written by Zodiac in 1969.

Given that truth, it should not be surprising that Zodiac's handwriting will look different in 1973, 1974 and 1978 from an exact match to his 1969 lettering.


Hello gestr & welcome,
I totally agree with your post. I've seen handwriting changes on myself & people I know over the years. I've also seen verbiage changes in people over time. So, I feel some of the current handwritings on POI's are not going to always match up to Z's first writings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If Zodiac ever joined a Z forum, I'm sure he would have been banned for not following forum rules. Zam's/Quote
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MODERATOR
User avatar
Zamantha
 
Posts: 1127
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:45 pm
Location: Cali

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby mike_r » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Uh, the problem is that his 1974 handwriting was so close to his 1969 writing that they were able to ID the 1974 letters as having come from Z. So what happened in 1973?

Mike
mike_r
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby morf13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Good points
User avatar
morf13
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 am
Location: NJ

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby Wier » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:49 pm

The cipher isn't very Z-like either, in fact for all intents and purposes, it's a pointless exercise. There is virtually no frequency disguise with one symbol for one letter and the most frequent letter E (6) has 6 symbols. (though there appears to be two symbols for C). Can't get it all for no other reason than some symbols are not clear...Albany medical center is clear enough.
Depending on where you read the rest supposedly says " This Only beginning or This is Only beginning. Even though it's not fully decipherable the "bones" of that statement is there.

Allegedly, the first 12 symbols are a name, if so, the surname appears to be HENLY. Don't have enough to decipher first name.
Wier
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:12 am

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby morf13 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Wier wrote:The cipher isn't very Z-like either, in fact for all intents and purposes, it's a pointless exercise. There is virtually no frequency disguise with one symbol for one letter and the most frequent letter E (6) has 6 symbols. (though there appears to be two symbols for C). Can't get it all for no other reason than some symbols are not clear...Albany medical center is clear enough.
Depending on where you read the rest supposedly says " This Only beginning or This is Only beginning. Even though it's not fully decipherable the "bones" of that statement is there.

Allegedly, the first 12 symbols are a name, if so, the surname appears to be HENLY. Don't have enough to decipher first name.


Doranchak also thought the last name was similar to Henly
User avatar
morf13
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 am
Location: NJ

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby morf13 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:42 am

Couldn't help but notice the timing of this;


"Flash forward 40 years to the most extensive manhunt in the history of the Adirondacks.

For 12 days in 1973, upstate New York was spellbound by reports of a vicious four-time killer loose in the mountains, escaping one dragnet search of the wilderness after another, eluding tracking dogs and hundreds of police.

Robert F. Garrow, who once lived in Albany, killed with a sadistic bent campers and others.

Each August day of the search a different Times Union reporter showed up at the scene in Hamilton County near the wilds of Speculator, where Garrow had tied a Schenectady teenage camper to a tree and stabbed him to death, touching off the search.

Reporters would check in with police at a command post, but then often found themselves near the center of police activity. While not directly involved with trying to flush Garrow out of the woods with which he was so familiar, reporters were nearby. Perhaps not as close to the action as Joe O'Heaney was, but far closer than a police reporter would get today.

Often, the press now learns of a crime by checking e-mail and finding a news release dispatched by a police agency's public information officer.

In a stolen car, Garrow escaped by roaring through a roadblock in the Speculator-Indian Lake area. A troop car in hot pursuit lost a fan belt as Garrow sped off. Garrow ended up at his hometown of Witherbee. Police trailed the killer's nephew, teenager David Mandy, who took food to his uncle in a thicket about a half-mile from the home, and Garrow was shot and captured by state Environmental Conservation Department Officer Hillary LeBlanc of Ballston Spa.

In September 1978, Garrow broke out of Fishkill State Prison by scaling a 15-foot barbed wire fence and eluded police for three days before he was killed in a gun battle with correction officers while still on prison grounds."

For those of you that don't know, Garrow was convicted of a murder in which he told his victims something very similar to what z told his victims at Berryessa, that he was an escaped prisoner and was taking their car to Mexico, or something along those lines.

Here's a bit;

"Garrow went over to the first tent he saw. He pointed his weapon at Carol Ann Malinowski and David Freeman who were still in their sleeping bag. "There was this couple in this tent," he said at trial, "they had no clothes on...I had my rifle with me and I asked them for some gas...I remember her putting her pants on...I don't think she put a bra on, she didn't have one." He soon rounded up all four campers at gunpoint and told them he wanted to siphon some gas out of their car. But Phil Domblewski objected. Garrow brandished his rifle and pointed it at the group. He marched them all into the woods. "I've killed before and I will again if I have to!" he told the frightened teenagers.

Garrow was physically a big man. He weighed 210 pounds and stood 5 feet 11 inches. He was larger and more intimidating than any of the campers. "Then is where everything, you know, all that pressure where I went berserk, I didn't know what to do," he told the court later. Once he herded them into the woods, he tied them all to separate trees, out of sight of one another. "I remember having people tie each other up and, I don't know which one tied which one up...the girl was tied up last," Garrow said. The terrified victims tried to reason with the stranger but Garrow seemed not to hear them. Domblewski especially refused to back down."

I had some articles about this, and recall the details and conversation went down similar to zodiacs at Berryessa, not saying there is a connection to z, but find it odd that while this guy that was from Albany was on the loose in Aug 73, a possible z cipher was mailed from Albany
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
morf13
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 am
Location: NJ

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby traveller1st » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Image
"I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb."
User avatar
traveller1st
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby morf13 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm

morf13 wrote:
Wier wrote:The cipher isn't very Z-like either, in fact for all intents and purposes, it's a pointless exercise. There is virtually no frequency disguise with one symbol for one letter and the most frequent letter E (6) has 6 symbols. (though there appears to be two symbols for C). Can't get it all for no other reason than some symbols are not clear...Albany medical center is clear enough.
Depending on where you read the rest supposedly says " This Only beginning or This is Only beginning. Even though it's not fully decipherable the "bones" of that statement is there.

Allegedly, the first 12 symbols are a name, if so, the surname appears to be HENLY. Don't have enough to decipher first name.


Doranchak also thought the last name was similar to Henly


I have a 1973 Albany city directory, and there are no listings for Henley or Henly. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Of course, maybe the threat was against a person that worked at the med Ctr but didn't live in Albany?
User avatar
morf13
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 am
Location: NJ

Re: Albany NY Medical Center letter/cipher August 1973

Postby morf13 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:26 pm

I have one strong possiblilty of a hit from the directory. DORANCHAK thought the first name may be CONNIE. Both he and WIER think the last name is likely HENLEY or HENLY.

I found a CONSTANCE HENDRIE. But she is not listed as working at Albany Med Ctr, but rather State Insur Dept (maybe that ties into the Med ctr?)
User avatar
morf13
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6540
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 am
Location: NJ

PreviousNext

Return to Albany Medical Center Threat letter August 1973

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron